Saturday, June 23, 2012

Vignettes

Last night I had a panic attack.  I don't have them often, my anxiety is usually more of a general feeling than a full scale attack.  But last night as I tried to go to sleep I had the horrible feeling of being unable to breathe, combined with cold sweats, the shakes, and basically feeling like I was going to die.  I ended up coming downstairs with The Husband, who was still awake and watching "Battlestar Galactica."  I made him change to sometime more cheerful and I ended up sitting up on the couch watching "Annie" until I could breathe again and then started to feel like I might be human.  I was terrified to try taking one of the Pams.  I'm not sure what caused the attack.  Hopefully it's just an isolated thing and I'm better now.

Since I had a bad night last night I decided that I would watch some bad television this morning, because bad television is the best kind, and Hulu said that I would like the show Breaking Pointe*, which is a reality show on the CW about the inner workings of Ballet West in Salt Lake City.  There are lots of people dating other people and drama with the up and coming 19 year old and the older principal dancer.  Although I don't have the best eye, I think that the dancing isn't terrible.  It's fabulous.

I have always wanted to be able to dance, but I've never been graceful.  I have horrible posture and issues with people looking at me and I think that I've lacked grace since I was a child.  I also walk like a herd of elephants is trampling down the hallway.  I grew up with a good friend who was a wonderful dancer.  She danced 5 days a week when we were in school and then danced in college and now has her own studio and company and is pretty awesome, in my opinion.  When the husband and I were first married, we took ballroom dance lessons and I wasn't terrible at it.**.  Granted, no one was going to mistake me for an extra in the movie "Strictly Ballroom,"*** but I never fell down.  It's the little things.

Since I can't tell you a lot, I thought that I'd give you a few vignettes of my time at work.

The first is the guy who only eats blueberries.  I don't know what he does--he's not in my department, but I've seen him several times around the building and he always has a pint of blueberries, which he is eating.  He's a pretty big guy and I've only ever seen him eat blueberries, but he eats the whole pint at a time.  One day, as I left work he was standing outside the building and I thought that he was smoking (which you're only supposed to do in the smoking area), but no, he had another pint of blueberries.  How many pints does he go through a day?  Is there some medical reason for this?  Is there a new blueberry diet that I should know about.  I have so many questions.  I tend to notice little things like this and I always want to ask the person about it, but I don't have the guts to do something like that.  Also, it's probably kind of rude to ask people about their blueberry habits. 

There's also the engaged couple that needs to get a room.  They are like those annoying people from your high school that used to make out like no one was watching between classes and were always blocking access to your locker.  They are the reason that you carried all your books in your backpack at all times.  You cannot escape from them.  And they have followed me to work.  They also don't work in my department, but they are on my floor, so they frequently block my access to the microwave at lunch time.  I've taken to eating things cold, because it's just easier.  One nice thing about these people is that everyone notices them, so we all talk about them.  If I knew them, I would let them know how they are damaging their careers--I kind of can't believe that their managers haven't said anything to them, but I could easily see them thinking that everyone else has a problem and just ignoring any comments.

Finally, we had this paratrooper-like invasion of the IT guy this week.  I work in a locked environment--everyone needs an electronic key to get anywhere and your key will only open the doors of areas where you're supposed to be, so it's pretty rare to see other people in the department.  However this week we were invaded from a very scary IT guy who needed us all to install a new printer.  He came barreling in with his wavy hair, held back by sunglasses like a headband, and started demanding that people print stuff.  Apparently, no one had told him that this was a phone environment because at least 2/3 of us were on calls and we're not allowed to just hang up on people.  Our inability to comply with his instructions made him yell louder, which didn't make the managers too happy.  The managers were also unhappy about the unscheduled time trying to fix a problem that none of us knew that we had.  My computer still won't do what he wants.  I was forced to call other IT people, who didn't really understand what I needed.  They ended the call (which lasted almost an hour) by telling me that it would take "a long time" to fix my problem.  Super. 

So, that's some highlights from this week.  Now I'm going to go back to the Breaking Pointe website and indulge in some bad Internet, to go with my bad television. 


*I'm always amazed at how well Hulu and Netflix know me--they are my friends.

**Not being terrible is my measuring stick--it's a pretty low bar (or maybe I should say barre).

***If you've not seen this film, go to Netflix now and watch it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment